Ronaldo dos Santos Mello
Prof. Ronaldo dos Santos Mello
Departamento de Informática e de Estatística (INE) – Room: 408
Centro Tecnológico (CTC)
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (UFSC)
Campus Universitário Trindade - Caixa Postal 476 - Florianópolis – SC, Brazil
Fone: + 55 48 3721.7378
Fax: + 55 48 3721.7553
Post-Doctoral, Computer Science, School of Computing, University of Utah, USA, 2009
Ph.D., Computer Science, Informatics Institute, UFRGS, Brazil, 2002
M.Sc., Computer Science, Informatics Institute, UFRGS, Brazil, 1994
B. Sc., Computer Science, Informatics Institute, UFRGS, Brazil, 1990
Dr. Ronaldo dos Santos Mello is a professor at Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC), Brazil. He got Bachelor, Master´s and PhD degrees in Computer Science at Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Brazil, and he also held a Post-doc grant as a visiting professor in the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA, during 2009. His research is concentrated in the Database area, with a current focus on Web and Big data modeling and integration, interoperability between relational and NoSQL databases, interoperability between RDF and NoSQL databases, NoSQL database design and transaction management for NewSQL databases. Ronaldo has more than 70 publications in brazilian and international conferences and journals, and colaborates, as a reviewer, with brazilian and international conferences and journals. As an advisor, he was/is being responsible for the supervision of almost 100 graduate and undergraduate students. Ronaldo is the head of UFSC Database Research Group and he was also head of the UFSC Graduate Program in Computer Science from 2011 to 2015.
· Database modeling
· Database integration and interoperability
· Big Data management
· Web data management
· Data integrity constraints
Head of the UFSC Database Research Group
Curriculum Vitae (Lattes platform – In Portuguese)
Recent Publications (DBLP)
· L. H. Z. and M. Roisenberg. Smart Crawler: Using Committee Machines for Web Pages Continuous Classification. R. S. In Proceedings of the XXI Brazilian Symposium on Multimedia and the Web (WebMedia). Manaus, Brazil, ACM, 2015. p.125-132.
· C. R. S. A Workload-Driven Logical Design Approach for NoSQL Document Databases. In Proceedings of the XVII International Conference on Information Integration and Web-based Applications & Services (iiWAS), Brussels, Belgium, ACM, 2015. p.1-10.
· F. R. . WTMatcher: An Approach to Determine Web Tables Similarity. In Proceedings of the XIII Internacional Conference on WWW/Internet (ICWI), Porto, Portugal, 2014.
· A. F. . DEEPEC: An Approach for Deep Web Content Extraction and Cataloguing. In Proceedings of the XXI European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), Utrech, Holland, 2013.
· R. Duarte and R. S. . On Evaluating an Approach for Balancing the Trade-off on XML Schema Design. International Journal of Web Information Systems (Print), v.8, n.4, p. 371-389, 2012.D.
· R. S C. Affinity-based XML Fragmentation. In Proceedings of the XV International Workshop on the Web and Databases (WebDB) of the 2012 ACM SIGMOD/PODS Conference, Scottsdale, AZ, USA, 2012. p.61-66..
· A. CALIL, A and . SimpleSQL: A Relational Layer for SimpleDB. In Proceedings of the XVI East-European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems (ADBIS), Poznan, Polland 2012. p. 99-110.
· C. F. R. S. . Approximate Data Instance Matching: A Survey. Knowledge and Information Systems, v.27, n.1, p.1-21, 2011. R.
· Pinnamanemi and J. Freire. Indexing Web Form Constraints. Journal of Information and Data Management, v.1, n.3, p.343-358, 2010.
· R. and R. S. . Designing XML Documents from Conceptual Schemas and Workload Information. Multimedia Tools and ApplicationS, v.43, n.3 , p.303-326, 2009.
· XML: Some Papers in a Haystack. SIGMOD RECORD, v.38, n.2, p.29-34, 2009.
· R. . Improving Query Performance on XML Documents: a Workload-driven Design Approach. In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Document Engineering (DocEng), 2008, São Paulo, SP, Brazil, 2008. p.177-186.
· INE 5613 – Databases I (Undergraduate Program in Information Systems - SIN)
· INE 5600 – Databases III (Undergraduate Program in Information Systems - SIN)
· INE 410131 – Data Management for Big Data (Graduate Program in Computer Science - PPGCC)
Last Update: December, 1st, 2017